Health & Safety in Fortnum's Restaurants & Bars
Last Updated 12th April 2021
Food is our passion, and dining our speciality. That will never change at Fortnum’s, but as we reopen our doors we’ve made a few changes to how we do things to help keep us all safe too. Before we welcome you back, here are some things you might like to be aware of.
Making Your Reservation
- If you are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms or think you may have been exposed to the virus within the previous 14 days, we politely ask you not to visit our restaurants. Please seek medical advice and stay at home for 14 days while you recover.
- In line with recent government guidelines, the largest table which can be booked in our restaurants is for six people who must be within your household or support bubble, with the exception of business meetings.
- You must wear a face-covering in all of our restaurants, except when you are seated at your table to eat. Please ensure that you bring one with you.
When You Arrive
- You might have already guessed that we won’t be allowing as many guests as usual into our restaurants in order to maintain social distancing. You might find a small queue on arrival, so please be patient.
- However, to avoid crowds in the reception area, we’ve also ensured staggered arrival times for different bookings. With this in mind, we ask that our guests do their best to arrive on time as much as possible, no earlier than ten minutes before your booking.
- We’ve provided hand sanitiser at our entrances and restaurant reception areas, so please help yourself.
- Our reception area has been fitted with safety screens to keep both our team and you safe.
- All of our teams will be wearing face coverings at all times, following our company policy.
- We are supporting NHS Test and Trace, and we will ask all of our guests over the age of 16 to check into our restaurants. This can be done quickly and easily using the NHS COVID-19 app, by scanning our NHS QR code poster; alternatively you can provide us your details at your reception which will be held securely. Please note that we reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who does no cooperate.
- We know it’s not always easy, but if you’re dining with children, we politely ask you to keep them at a distance from other customers during your visit.
Dining With Us
- Depending on where you dine there will be different menu options – literally meaning, menus will either be quarantined for 24 hours or will otherwise be disposable. There are also QR codes that you can scan to view menus for each restaurant online.
- Tables and chairs will be cleaned thoroughly with sanitiser between each use.
- Extra hand-wash basin and sanitising points are installed so our staff can clean their hands more frequently (at least every 20 minutes).
- We’re keeping the number of staff who will be serving during your meal to a minimum.
- We encourage guests to pay with contactless methods where possible.
- We’ve temporarily removed some pieces of furniture to ensure that all tables and parties can be more than 1 meter apart.
- We’ve improved ventilation in our dining rooms, with open windows and ventilating units.
- All of our dining rooms were deep cleaned before reopening, and Covid-19 related Risk Assessment carried out.
- We will have Social Distancing Ambassadors working every day to help regulate busy areas, such as corridors, and clean highly touched points.
- Guest toilets will be cleaned every 15 minutes during the day.
- All staff will have their temperature checked upon arrival with a thermal image camera. Staff who show any Covid-19 symptoms will be sent home and stay self-isolated for 14 days.
- We issued a special staff handbook before our reopening: A Guide to Working Through Covid-19.
- All teams have undertaken new and comprehensive training related to hygiene standards and Covid-19 related safety measures.
- Daily staff briefings will cover safety updates.
- Our staff working in the kitchens will also keep social distancing where possible.
- New delivery procedures are implemented to keep our team and suppliers safe.